VLV's evidence to the Culture, Media and Sport Committee's inquiry into 'fake' news makes a number of recommendations. These include:
- That Ofcom's work on media literacy should be reinvigorated.
- Funding for news on broadcast platforms should be maintained so that it features more on the ground reporting rather than studio commentary.
- Technology companies need to help address the spreading of fake news and offensive material on social media platforms.
- Fact-checking services should be more prominent.
- There should be greater debate among regulators and broadcasters about how newscasters should manage situations in which opinion is expressed which includes statistics and facts which are unverifiable.
- The committee should explore whether impartiality regulation could become more scientific.
- There should be a debate about whether politicians should have to subscribe to the standards set by the Advertising Standards Authority.
You can read the full submission here